Resources for Veterans & Families
Below is a comprehensive resource guide for veteran farmers and their families including local, state, and federal agencies and organizations. We understand that navigating the full list of resources available to veterans can be a bit daunting, so Hoʻōla Farms is here to help—no veteran should have to go it alone! If you need assistance figuring out which programs or resources are right for you, please email us to schedule a time to talk story with one of our team members!
Hawaiʻi Agribusiness Guidebook 2020
The Hawaiʻi Agribusiness Guidebook is a summary of important points and tips for farmers relating to the business (versus production) aspects of running an agribusiness. You might find that you need more information about a particular subject than is presented in this Guidebook—throughout each section we have listed additional references you can turn to.
Government Resources Guide
Before diving into the resources below, we recommend downloading the Government Resources Guide for Farmer Veterans, created for veterans who are or who are interested in becoming farmers or ranchers. This guide is designed to help veterans understand how to leverage the resources offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the Small Business Administration (SBA), the Department of Labor (DOL), and the Department of Agriculture (USDA). This guide describes federal government programs that directly support farmers.
Farm Answers Resource Website
Farm Answers is the USDA and National Institute for Food and Agriculture’s beginning farmer and rancher (BFRDP) clearinghouse, providing resources to help you get started farming, as well as tools to help more seasoned producers succeed. The Farm Answers library features over 5,500 curated materials, including apps, audio, online courses, presentations, videos, websites, and documents to help answer your farming and ranching questions!
County of Hawaiʻi Office of Research & Development—COVID-19 information and resources compiled specifically for Hawai‘i County’s business community.
The Hawaiʻi Small Business Development Center’s (SBDC) homepage has the latest info on federal loans, grants, and programs to support small businesses impacted by the pandemic. Local offices in Hilo and Kona.
ALTRES COVID-19 Employer Resource Site—designed to help Hawaiʻi businesses navigate the challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic.
ProService Hawaiʻi—offers a very thorough and detailed Employer’s Guide to Coronavirus.
- Hawaii Department of Agriculture Loan Division
- Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA)
- University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR)
- Hawaiʻi Agricultural Resource Management Division
- City & County of Honolulu Community Development Block Grant Program
- County of Maui Economic Development Program
- County of Hawaiʻi Research & Development Office
LOCAL FEDERAL OFFICES
- Compost Reimbursement Program – June 2019
- Organic Foods Production Tax Credit Information
- 2017-2027 Hawaii Interagency Biosecurity Plan – January 2017
- Organic Foods Production Tax Credit
- Statewide Pesticides Initiatives – December 2016
- Joint Fact Finding Report: Pesticide Use by Large Agribusinesses on Kauaʻi – May 2016
- Kauaʻi Good Neighbor Program Database
- Statewide Agricultural Land Use Baseline 2015 report – February 2016
- Boosting Hawaii’s Ability to Grow Animal Feedstock
- Addressing the Workforce Needs of Hawaii Agriculture
- Important Agricultural Land (IAL) Information
- Hoʻōla Farms | Intro to Grow FREE One-Day Workshop
- Hoʻōla Farms | Groundwork to Grow: Agribusiness
- GoFarm Hawaii
- Hawaiʻi Agribusiness Guidebook
- UH-CTAHR Farm Food Safety Website (Good Agricultural Practices)
- UH-Hilo Tropical Farming Certificate Program
- Leeward Community College – Agriculture
- Pacific Gateway Center – Successful Beginning Farmer Classes
- University of Hawaii – College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources
- Kohala Center – Beginning Farmer/Rancher Development Program
- Hawaii Agricultural Foundation Nonprofit
- Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food Compass and Map (PDF)
- USDA Veterans
- USDA Office of Partnerships and Public Engagement
- USDA Beginning Farmers and Ranchers
- USDA Service Center Locator
- USDA Rural Development
USDA GRANTS & FUNDING
USDA Farm Service Agency
FSA LOAN PROGRAMS
- Loan Programs
- Farm Operating and Microloans
- Farm Ownership Loans
- Emergency Farm Loans
- Guaranteed Farm Loans
- Youth Loans
- Farm Storage Facility Loans
FSA PRODUCTION PROGRAMS
FSA DISASTER PROGRAMS