Groundwork to Grow is a collection of four-week exposure-based trainings on various agribusiness topics. The program was created to support military veterans and community members interested in farming and ranching on Hawaiʻi Island by providing exposure, skill-based training, and a professional network aimed to help them succeed in agricultural careers. Our ideal participant is someone who already has introductory experience with farming and who is looking to dive deeper and become more invested.
Workshops will cover agriculture topics relevant to beginning farmers and ranchers on Hawaiʻi island, including:
- Value-Added Production
- The Art of Beekeeping with Bird and Bee Hawai’i
- Orchard & Agroforestry
- Master Food Preservers with Hawai’i Master Food Preservers
- Agribusiness: Formation and Development
- Agribusiness: Financial Literacy
- Agribusiness: Marketing and Sales
Cost to attend 4-week workshops range from $99-$350, depending on the course and equipment.
🎓 Scholarships are available for military veterans and other eligible participants. Those who are interested or who would like additional information can click the button below to fill out our inquiry form or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Most 4-week workshop consists of:
- 4 Virtual Classroom sessions
- Tuesdays from 5:30-7:00pm
- 4 Field Days at local operational farms and businesses
- Saturdays (timing may vary)
- *Master Food Preserver course is 8 full days of in-class instruction and food preparation.
Groundwork to Grow trainings can host 8-12 participants per cohort, so space is limited. We will close registrations when capacity is met.
🚨 Past participation in one of our Intro to Grow one-day workshops is required before you can attend a 4-week Groundwork to Grow program.